Friday, November 4, 2016

Book Review: Paper Girls

 Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang, Matthew Wilson

Released: April 5th, 2016
Read: October 2016
Publisher: Image Comics
Format: Paperback, 144 pages
Series: Paper Girls (#1-5)

Description from GoodReads: In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and otherworldly mysteries collide in this smash-hit series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood.

Review: I had just gotten off a Stranger Things high when we hit up a bookstore and I found this beautiful gem. So imagine my surprise when the book is pretty much Stranger Things with an all-girl cast.
   Of course, the story is different. It's clever and weird and feels like something out of a dark episode of Doctor Who. Needless to say, I loved it. It's hard to love characters from comics unless the comic is 400-500 pages long, but this book successfully had me hoping these rough-and-tumble girls would save the day. Not to mention these girls are the coolest 12 year olds ever. (Except the smoking. Smoking doesn't make you cool.)
   It's even harder to make a group of tween girls the main characters in a YA/adult comic. Again, this book succeeded while still keeping a sense of youth and not just adults in tiny child bodies. That was a weird image. I'm sorry.

Quotable Quotes:
“I'm not going to stand here and be eaten by some bitch's dinosaur. I am finally doing something with my life.”
 “I hated being twelve. Back in '65, I just wanted to grow up fast so everything would finally be good, you know? But truth is, life was actually way better back then. Turns out, the older you get... the more everything just turns to shit.”

Rating: 9/10

Read if You Liked: Stranger Things, Doctor Who, (a grown up sorta version of) Babysitters Club, I don't think I've read another book like this

Optimistically yours, Ola <3

No comments:

Post a Comment