Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Book Review: Mortal Danger

    Mortal Danger by Ann Aguire

Release date: August 5th, 2014
Read: August 2015
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Format: Hardcover, 372 pages

Description from Goodreads:   Edie Kramer has a score to settle with the beautiful people at Blackbriar Academy. Their cruelty drove her to the brink of despair, and four months ago, she couldn't imagine being strong enough to face her senior year. But thanks to a Faustian compact with the enigmatic Kian, she has the power to make the bullies pay. She's not supposed to think about Kian once the deal is done, but devastating pain burns behind his unearthly beauty, and he's impossible to forget.

In one short summer, her entire life changes and she sweeps through Blackbriar, prepped to take the beautiful people down from the inside. A whisper here, a look there, and suddenly . . . bad things are happening. It's a head rush, seeing her tormentors get what they deserve, but things that seem too good to be true usually are, and soon, the pranks and payback turns from delicious to deadly. Edie is alone in a world teeming with secrets and fiends lurking in the shadows. In this murky morass of devil's bargains, she isn't sure who--or what--she can trust. Not even her own mind.


Review: Wow, this book was... not at all what I expected, or wanted for that matter. All of the assumptions I had melted away once I started reading. Edie was not as vengeful as I had hoped, instead I got pretentious, confused, and lots of lip-biting. Kian was gooey and "heroic", so there were only a few scenes with him that I actually liked. There is also one predominant thing spread throughout most of the novel, being beautiful can get you whatever you want. I mean, come on. This is the 21st century, stop this mindset! Needless to say, I won't be reading the next book.

      There is one good surprise. This book was scary. I thought it was going to be about as scary as an episode of Bones, but to me, it was more like a Stephen King novel (bear in mind, I get scared very easily). So it goes that I couldn't sleep, and was constantly looking at my window for tiny handprints.


Quotable Quotes:  
"Hateful words had a way of worming beneath the skin, until they became the unbearable echo in your head. I wasn't listening anymore." - Edith (Page 90)

"I remember seeing her face and thinking, what can I do to break her?" - Edith (Page 126)

Rating: 2/5 Stars
Read if you like: horror, romance, And Then There Were None, teenage drama, Ann Aguirre


Optimistically yours, Ola <3

No comments:

Post a Comment